Tuesday, June 3, 2008

get used to it

May I ask you a question?

Yes.

Are they all yours?

Yes.

All boys?

Yes.

Four boys?

Yes.

It's like a factory.

Yup, we just crank them out.

More power to you!

Thank you.

You have a house-full of boys!

Yes we do!

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It's a great thing.

You are brave.

Thanks.

Are you going to try for a girl?

We're quite sure God knew what he was doing.

No one to help you in the kitchen?

Oh yes, this one empties the dishwasher and this one sweeps the floor and this one helps with meals.

You are one busy woman.

Yes I am.

You have your hands full.

Yes I do.

Better you than me.

I think so too.

God bless you mam.

Thank you.

Being on vacation has brought to my attention the fact that we have a large family. I know, I know, you think, "Laurie, you are with your family every day and this is just now dawning on you? You're blonder than you pay to be!" Yes, it sounds silly, but for the last five days we've been on a mini-vacation in Zion National Park and Las Vegas and for several instances, I have felt like we were an attraction for people to look at. Kenyon noticed that in Utah, our family isn't considered that large, but when we travel out of state, we suddenly become the exception, and not the rule.

Sure my kids are cute and all (ok, really cute), but it wasn't a cute factor - it was a "Holy Cow look at how many sons they have!" reaction. I guess I should get used to it, but this was the first time that I felt the pride ooozing out of my pores for the fact that I have four sons. Granted, some people pity me... many try to make it into a negative thing that we don't have any daughters, like we settled for a consolation prize at the county fair. But each time there was a look on someone's face or a comment like the ones above (those are just a few examples of what I hear all the time), I gleamed with pride for how blessed a woman I am. I'm sure I would feel the same way if I had four daughters or a mix of both - I'm just in love with our family. I can tell you that I'm grateful they are not being noticed because they are misbehaving, disrespectful brats - no one has noticed that yet (just kidding!!!).


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the "consolation prize" look/comments. And, I, too, beam with pride and tell people that I don't do drama, so God knew what he was doing giving me all boys. Sure, they pee on the floor. But oh well.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture with you and your precious boys.

Anonymous said...

You ARE blessed to have 4 boys! I think that it is wonderful. You two are doing a great job. Keep it up. Love the pictures from vacation!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin