Wednesday, November 19, 2008

sweeeeet carOline . . da. . da. . da. .

I'll just get this confession out of the way right now:

I am a birth junkie.

I love the experience of birth - whether I am giving birth, participating by giving labor support or merely an observer through a television set (Baby Story anyone?) - I am fascinated by what a miracle it is.

Last night hubby and I had the opportunity to remember what an actual date was with tickets to see an awesome ballet.  We've had the tickets for six weeks, and the sitter booked for a month.  We were going out with a group of friends and we were looking forward to it.

BUT, my dear friend Erin has been pregnant for much longer than all of that.  And for her last three births, my friend Ashley and I have had the honor to let her husband take a nap support her in labor and witness the births of her babies.

P1030166

P1030192I knew she had been having intermittent contractions all day and I got the "she's ready for you" call from her husband Dave at about 4:45 in the afternoon.

So, hubby went with our friends to the ballet, and I went to Erin's side.

Did I mention that she was planning a home birth?  Oh, and a water birth.

 P1030177Although it was a rough five hours of hard labor for Erin, I loved being by her side.  I rubbed shoulders, I rubbed feet, put pressure on her back and knees and when it was time to push, I supported one of her legs.

Slightly before 10 p.m. last night, after a whole four minutes of pushing, we welcomed sweet little Caroline into the world.

After both Erin's hubby Dave and her mom Marilyn were offered the honor of cutting the cord and declined, Ashley and I fought to the death were honored to share the scissors and cut little Caroline free from her cord.  That was a first for me!

What a miracle!

P1030218    P1030234

P1030236

5 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

I love our "girls nights"! Especially when it involves a new baby!!!
Love that Sweet Caroline!

Anonymous said...

i will confess to being a birth junkie, too! i LOVE labor and delivery (but, um, i do mine with an epidural).

Natalie said...

Thank you, thank you for being there for her! I know you love it, but it's so nice to know she has you and Ashley!

Still can't get over the fact that my mother FORGOT HER CAMERA.

Amanda Greene said...

All 3 of you make a great team...maybe it's a calling :)

Kristin said...

that was worth missing a date night for! what a miracle.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin